I am a huge lover of carrot cake, on my 14th birthday instead of getting a regular birthday cake or ice cream cake I BEGGED my mom to make me her carrot cake (it was delicious!). Though carrot cake isn’t considered the most autumnal treat, the spices that are added in are enough for me 🙂 This is my mom’s recipe inspired cake, with a few added spices, nuts, and fruit 🙂 I ABSOLUTELY love this recipe, the spiciness and the nuts and fruit add the perfect little crunch! I swear to you this is delicious, now get baking that THREE layer cake!!!!!
3/4 cup oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ginger
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
3/4 cup raisins
4 large eggs
zest of 1/2 a lemon
2 large handfuls crushed walnuts
3 cups shredded carrots
Ingredients: Cream Cheese Frosting
16 oz of cream cheese (I used light version)
1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour 3 cake tins.
- Mix all the ingredients into one large bowl.
- Evenly pour the batter into the three cake tins.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, make sure to alternate the placement of the cakes in order to create an even bake amount them all.
- Mix the cream cheese with a fork to soften it up a bit.
- Then go in with a hand blender or a kitchen aid and blend until it becomes a smoother consistency, while blending add in 1 tablespoon of milk.
- This part is up to you, depending on how sweet you want your frosting you should add the maple syrup slowly, 1 tablespoon at a time until it becomes the desired sweetness
-In between the layers I placed a nice layer of the cream cheese icing
-then on the tops and sides I added little puffs of icing, adding pieces of walnuts on top- I don’t know how well I can explain this so I am adding a picture- a picture is worth a thousand words.. right?
Life is short. Eat that cake.