I recently found myself in quite the predicament… I had a bag of spelt flour in my house and two enormous ripe pears… what to do what to do….
And then I did what I always do… I got into the kitchen and started to experiment.
Creating a Pear Almond Spelt Cake.
Ingredients: Makes 12 Loaf Slices***
For the boiling pears:
- 2 Large Pears
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
For the Spelt Mix:
- 2 cups Spelt Flour
- 1/3 cup melted non-dairy butter (I used Earth Balance-Organic)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- pinch Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg
For the Almond Mix
- 2/3 cup Almond Meal (I used Trader Joes)
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 4 Tbsp Almond Milk
*** calories listed at the bottom of the post
- First we begin with the pears, fill a medium pot with water and the spices and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, while you prepare your pears.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a loaf pan (either grease or line with parchment paper).
- Peal the pears and then cut them in half. Once in half remove the cores.
- Slide the pears into the boiling water and bring to a medium to low heat, keep them win the water for 10-12 minutes or until soft. Remove from the liquid once the time is up.
- Then we get to the spelt mix, combing all the ingredients for the spelt mix into one big bowl. Mix until your dough becomes elastic.
- After the spelt mix we go one to the Almond Mix, again mix all the ingredients into a bowl, the mix will be a little watery (that is okay!)
- Now it is time to prepare the cake. Put roughly half the spelt mix at the bottom of the prepared loaf pan. Atop that pour the entire almond mix. Atop the almond mix add the remaining spelt mix (creating a sort of almond sandwich). After you have made your ‘sandwich’ add the 4 halves of poached pairs.
- For the final touch I added a sprinkle of cinnamon and coconut sugar (completely optional!)
- Bake in the oven for roughly 45 min or until a skewer comes out clean.
Calories: 283 per serving
Hope you enjoyed!